Pine Institute and resin chemistry in Aquitaine (1900-1970) - Archive ouverte HAL Access content directly
Theses Year : 2016

Pine Institute and resin chemistry in Aquitaine (1900-1970)

L’Institut du Pin et la chimie des résines en Aquitaine (1900-1970)

(1)
1
Marcin Krasnodębski
  • Function : Author
  • PersonId : 779891
  • IdRef : 196910846

Abstract

Pine resin chemistry was born in France in the beginning of the 20th century. Its birth is intimately linked to the establishment of the Pine Institute. It was a complex entity whose origins go back to 1900 when Maurice Vèzes, professor of chemistry at the Faculty of Sciences in Bordeaux, created the Laboratory of Chemistry Applied to the Resin Industry in order to help the regional resin industry to fight the social and economic crisis. The market position of resinous products was threatened by the rise of the petroleum industry offering low quality but cheap alternatives. Under the direction of great French chemists, Georges Dupont and Georges Brus, the Pine Institute helped the resin producers to face the threat of petroleum. Not only it elaborated new products but it actively contributed to the development of national and international standards on resin. The Institute’s works aroused interest also in the United States of America. The American resin industry greatly profited from the French expertise and it tried to establish its own scientific institutions following the French example. The Pine Institute became the global centre of resin chemistry and it fulfilled this role until the decline of the regional industry in the end of the 1960s.
La chimie des résines est née en France à Bordeaux au début du XXe siècle. Son émergence est inextricablement liée à la création de l’Institut du Pin. Cet établissement est une entité complexe dont les origines remontent à 1900, moment où Maurice Vèzes, professeur de chimie, établit à Bordeaux le Laboratoire de chimie appliquée à l’industrie des résines afin d’aider l’industrie locale à résoudre une crise sociale et économique. La place des produits résineux sur le marché est menacée à l’époque par l’émergence de l’industrie pétrolière. Sous la direction des grandes figures de la chimie française Georges Dupont et Georges Brus, l’Institut du Pin contribue à la valorisation de la résine de pin. Non seulement il développe de nouveaux débouchés, mais il s’implique dans la normalisation de dérivés résineux en France et à l’international. Les travaux de l’Institut suscitent aussi l’intérêt outre-Atlantique. L’industrie américaine des résines profite amplement de l’expertise française et essaie d’établir ses propres institutions scientifiques à l’image de celles en France. L’Institut du Pin devient le véritable centre mondial de la chimie des résines et remplit ce rôle jusqu’au déclin de l’industrie régionale à la fin des années 1960.
Fichier principal
Vignette du fichier
KRASNODEBSKI_MARCIN_2016.pdf (12.29 Mo) Télécharger le fichier
Origin : Version validated by the jury (STAR)

Dates and versions

tel-01409230 , version 1 (05-12-2016)

Identifiers

  • HAL Id : tel-01409230 , version 1

Cite

Marcin Krasnodębski. L’Institut du Pin et la chimie des résines en Aquitaine (1900-1970). Histoire, Philosophie et Sociologie des sciences. Université de Bordeaux, 2016. Français. ⟨NNT : 2016BORD0192⟩. ⟨tel-01409230⟩
643 View
3637 Download

Share

Gmail Facebook Twitter LinkedIn More